In year 7 PSHCE is delivered through Winston extra lessons that also reinforces our vision towards our Winston competencies. This is the same structure for students in the aspire stream in years 8 and 9. Enigma and grammar students receive bespoke PSHCE lessons in years 8 and 9
A critical component of PSHE education is providing opportunities for children and young people to reflect on and clarify their own values and attitudes and explore the complex and sometimes conflicting range of values and attitudes they encounter now and in the future.
The aim for PSHCE education is to provide pupils with:
- accurate, balanced and relevant knowledge
- opportunities to turn that knowledge into personal understanding
- opportunities to explore, clarify and if necessary challenge, their own and others’ values, attitudes, beliefs, rights and responsibilities
- the skills, language and strategies they need in order to live healthy, safe, fulfilling, responsible and balanced lives
- opportunities to develop positive personal attributes such as resilience, self-confidence, self-esteem, and empathy
At Winston Churchill School students in Years 7 and 8 have a once a fortnight timetabled lesson of PSHCE . Students across the school also have off timetable PSHCE events such as the Careers Fair and Guest speakers where the timetable is collapsed for approximately one hour for students to receive PSHCE education. Moreover, in Tutor time sessions and assemblies students receive a coordinated and age appropriate provision of PSHCE education.
Whole year group productions, smaller workshops and individual intervention sessions, complement the programme. These currently include a ‘be smart be safe’ day, a body image project, a drug awareness project, a domestic violence workshop, homophobic and transphobic workshops, ‘the teenage pregnancy project’ and ‘drive smart’. These are just a few examples of our extensive programme of preventative education and they are available to all students. In addition to these bigger events, smaller workshops are run regularly and according to the current needs of our students. Our research proves that all our PSHCE events are very well received by our students.