Language and Communication Assistant
Required for September 2019
5 days a week (36 hours per week / 39 weeks per year)
Surrey Pay grade PS6: £21,000
We are seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated Language and Communication Assistant to work alongside the school’s Head of Learning Support and Educational Psychologist. As part of the team, you will promote, develop and secure the highest standard of provision for children, families and the school.
Would you like to:
- Plan and lead language and communication groups working closely with the SENCO so that needs are identified and the correct support given
- Support Teaching Assistants in their role of leading groups
- Carry out SEND assessments to spot potential issues – NEW Guidance
- Have a good understanding and being able, in consultation with the SENCO, to lead on the SEND code of practice
- Lead social and communication groups alongside the SENCO
- Deliver high quality Literacy intervention developing language skills to small groups
- Observe key pupils in class and offer advice/guidance to teachers around Communication and Interaction
- Be responsible for outreach referrals alongside the SENCO
- Support key pupils when heightened using emotion coaching/RJ/ASD strategies
- Be an emotion coach for high need ASD cases and closely work with families
- Be actively involved with ‘Communication is Key’ cases and offer support and advice where needed
- Support & liaise with home school link workers/attendance officer in reintegration of school refusers
In return you will have:
- Must have completed a registered, accredited degree level course
- Knowledge and understanding of how to apply the role in an educational and community setting
- Knowledge of methods of collecting and analysing data
The ability to work to deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively and be competent with IT
- Knowledge of and experience in working with children and young people with Special Educational Needs and
- Disabilities (SEND) will be an advantage
You will receive regular supervision from an experienced member of the team and have opportunities for team work and support from a range of professionals.
Applications must be posted or emailed to Mrs R. Zimmerman, the Headteacher’s PA on email@example.com
Applicants should ensure they include a statement detailing their suitability for the post in relation to the job description and person specification, with 2 sides of A4 as a maximum.
This school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check will be required prior to commencement.